Join Our Team
Urban Equation is a sustainability strategy and development consulting practice with a mission to change the way we build. We believe that the decisions we make about the way we design, build and operate communities are crucial for ensuring a prosperous future for people and the planet. That’s why we work with developers, municipalities and landowners every day to deliver healthy, inclusive and low-carbon communities.
We aren’t your typical development advisor. Using a systems approach to sustainability, Urban Equation unlocks opportunities for our clients to achieve impact in ways that are technically robust and financially viable. We connect the dots between topics ranging from embodied carbon to urban agriculture to affordability, without losing sight of the realities of real estate development.
Urban Equation is proud to be a part of the Windmill Group of Companies, which includes Windmill Developments and the One Planet Living Fund. Together, we advise on, develop and invest in communities that care for people and nature.
If you are serious about change-making and want the opportunity to grow with a dynamic, collaborative and visionary Group of Companies, consider a career with Urban Equation. We are a purpose-driven team of architects, planners, engineers, developers, and sustainability professionals who aren’t afraid to think big and challenge the status quo. If you believe in the possibility of better urban communities, we’d love to hear from you.
We are currently hiring for a Project Manager: Technical and Financial.
As a Project Manager: Technical and Financial, you will be responsible for managing client projects, working with both internal and external interdisciplinary team members to meet project goals and deliverables. You will be responsible for the technical outcomes on a variety of development advisory projects specific to energy and carbon performance. You will also deliver financial analysis for both internal and external sustainable real estate development initiatives and projects.
Specifically, you will:
- Conduct cost and benefit analyses for sustainability strategies, such as those related to
carbon conservation, green infrastructure, and urban agriculture.
- Provide technical support and guidance on energy-related concepts, strategies, and design, such as envelope thermal performance, high-efficiency building systems, renewable systems, thermal comfort, ventilation, and indoor air quality, daylighting, etc.
- Support best in class sustainability and high-performance building design consulting including Net Zero/Net Positive carbon and greenhouse gas indicators and targets
- Collaborate with design teams to integrate and achieve high-performance buildings and district energy solutions
- Assist in the preparation of financial models for real estate development initiatives, such as in affordable housing.
- Support research into alternative financing opportunities, such as grants, green bonds and social impact funds.
- Support the development of project proposals, fees and delivery schedules.
- Support the preparation of quality client deliverables in a timely and profitable manner that meet client expectations.
- Interact with real estate investors, developers, architects, engineers, contractors, industry representatives and construction trades
- Develop clear and concise written reports that convey technical and strategic information, an understanding of the client’s needs and objectives. and recommendations to meet these objectives.
- Contribute to team-wide resources and practices for training and project delivery.
- At least 5+ years of experience in real estate or financial analysis, proven sustainable industry knowledge, and project management
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration, Finance, Real Estate, Engineering, Economics or equivalent
- Experience conducting detailed macro and micro market research
- Experience with detailed energy modeling and integrated design processes;
- Working knowledge of building codes, standards, and protocols related to sustainable design (such as ASHRAE);
- Familiarity and knowledge of energy-efficient and low-carbon technologies and strategies for both building and community scale;
- Demonstrated skills in managing complex projects with a range of stakeholders
- Strong analytical, financial, and quantitative skills, including DCF and financial modeling experience
- Basic knowledge of sustainability frameworks such as LEED, WELL, TGS, and Living Building Challenge
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Strong sense of team success, willing to support others as needed
- Curious, enthusiastic, and a desire to grow personally and professionally within a supportive environment
- Demonstrates a history of innovative, independent problem-solving methods and capabilities
If this sounds like the role for you, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.